Thursday 29 August 2013

Being a Part Timer

I have to be honest and say that I didn't expect to be playing part time football by the age of 27 again. I left Queen's Park aged 20 and football was in a decent enough state in Scotland. Clubs were paying good money, the First Division was relatively strong with teams like St Johnstone, Inverness, Hamilton, Queen of the South and Partick Thistle all quite strong. Now the first division is pretty weak, clubs aren't paying any money, players are not making a living in football anymore outside the SPL. So part time is the option that people are taking and also being forced into. I am hoping to do some part time football, make some money doing something else on the side for a short time and try and get back full time or move abroad. It wouldn't be easy moving abroad, but if I can convince KA that Norway, Sweden or Denmark would be a good idea for both of us then maybe we will up sticks for a wee while.
One thing I have noticed about not training every day is how much harder it is to get up to the speed and sharpness where I feel like I should be. I have been in the gym a lot and training twice a week, but it is only this week I have actually felt sharp for the first time. I can hopefully get up to speed with 90 minutes in the next few weeks, starting with a return to Hampden on Saturday to play QP. It is always fun going back there where I have so many good memories.

I am looking forward to enjoying playing football and scoring goals again. I loved my time at Falkirk where the team had some great success and the fans, especially on the road, were fantastic. But since then I struggled to motivate myself and felt like I was falling out of love with the game. But in reality I knew once I got back to playing I would love it again and I can't wait to get a run of games. It isn't ideal only training twice, especially since some people can't always make training due to work commitments. You never get the same connection with your teammates on the pitch as you do if you see and train with them every day. Unfortunately that's how it is and I have to try and make the most of it, get my head down and work hard as I have always done throughout my career. I know if I can get my confidence up I will score and create plenty goals for the team and that can only help me personally. I'm looking forward to the challenge.





With tickets going on sale (well, you can apply for some) for the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow next year I have been asked to do a run down on what is worth going to see and where you should go and do it. You can get a list of all the venues here so you know where all the events are situated. Obviously not everyone will agree with my opinion but here is the top 5 venues and events to apply for tickets to and the Scottish athletes to look out for:

  1. Athletics at Hampden Park - Obviously the big attraction of any major multi-sporting event is the athletics. Hampden will be getting adapted to include having the running track round the football pitch, and with top athletes like Usain Bolt expected to be involved it should be a great day out. *Eilidh Child won silver at the last Commonwealths and finished 5th in the recent World Championships, look out for her to be going for gold in the 400m hurdles.
  2. Cycling at the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome - British cycling has never been more in the spotlight with 2 Tour de France winners and continued success on the track. The atmosphere will be amazing in the velodrome and you can expect plenty of medals from British competitors. Lets just hope that the Scots beat the English. *Callum Skinner is a young prospect on the track who recently won the British track cycling championships and should be in with a chance of a medal in the sprint.
  3. Rugby 7's at Ibrox - The rugby 7's is always an exciting event with plenty of tries and tackles. It will be held at Ibrox which is a great venue for it, and since it is rugby, get yourself a few drinks while you watch, enjoy the sport and have a good time. *Being at home and also since all the top nations won't be here, maybe Scotland can get a medal, who knows?
  4. Swimming at Tollcross International swimming centre - The swimming centre will be filled with 5000 fans and it will be a great atmosphere and potentially a great opportunity for Scotland to win some Gold medals. This should be a great event and definitely worth a visit. *Michael Jamieson won a silver medal at last years Olympics and the Glasgow born swimmer will be going for Gold in his favourite event the 200m breast stroke. 
  5. Cycling on the streets of Glasgow - The road cycling event will take place round the streets of Glasgow and it will be a free event you can go out and support on the course. It is on the same course that held the British road race in the Summer. I went to watch some of that with my brother, and I can recommend standing at the top of Great George Street in the West End. It is right at the top of the biggest hill on the course so the riders won't be flying past you. That is unless you want to be in Glasgow Green for the finish. *David Millar is Scotland's best rider and genuine top level cyclist. He will be going for Gold in the Road Race and the Time Trial 
  6.  
Michael Jamieson will be going for Gold



Since I have so much spare time at the moment, Karen Anna finally decided to try and sell her Arga Ankan stuff, so we have opened a shop together. So that is online with a few things to buy just now, with more to come in the next couple of months. Cards, mugs, wrapping paper and a few other things will be coming into the shop so go and buy something if you want and check out her website and facebook.
Click on the link below!
Angry Duck Shop


No comments:

Post a Comment